To provide the overall operational management for all aspects of Domestic Operations, including Health and Safety and Security, HR, IT, catering, administration, premises management, lettings, security, and operations support at the RSJ campus.
To manage operational staff (both directly employed and outsourced) ensuring that resources are used effectively at RSJ
To develop high-quality systems and services throughout the school offering support where required.
- Lead and manage the School’s cleaning operations via the outsourced provider..
- Manage the School’s catering provision through the outsourced provider, ensuring they meet service levels agreed upon within budget.
- To manage the school minibus.
- To prepare budgets and be responsible for cost management of all domestic operations.
Health and Safety & Security
- To ensure the School is up to date and compliant in all areas of Health and Safety and Fire Safety, including the School’s management.
- To manage the outsourced security function, ensuring the provision of appropriate and cost-effective security services all year round.
- Ensure that accurate and meaningful statistical analyses of accident and security incidents and other important health and safety and security matters are produced regularly and that appropriate recommendations are made to address issues highlighted by this and other management information.
Compliance and Risk Management
- To liaise and work with the Operations team on all matters relating to compliance in Operations and Health and Safety, to ensure the school complies with all relevant regulations which come under the COBIS inspection regime and National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools or other regulatory requirements.
- To ensure procedures, processes, records, and all necessary documentation are in place so that the School meets the requirements of any inspections by the above-mentioned or other approved regulatory bodies in Operations and Health and Safety. Periodically this will require an audit of such arrangements to be carried out by the incumbent or Compliance Officer.
- Keep up to date the Risk Management Register and Higher Risks Grid which is presented to the Governing Body’s Audit and Risk Committee and the Governing Body at each of their meetings.
- Keep up to date with the School’s Critical Incident Plan and Lockdown procedures. Ensure Critical Incident and Lockdown exercises are practiced regularly.
HR & Legal
- Line manage school administrators in order to complete HR tasks.
- Supporting the recruitment and selection process: arranging/attending interviews and updating the School’s recruitment database.
- Undertaking vetting process to support HR in the recruitment of new employees to the School, including carrying out safeguarding checks on all new employees, completing relevant paperwork, and chasing up.
- Maintain the Single Central Register ensuring that is kept current and accurate and in accordance with legal requirements.
- Arrange and coordinate the offer of employment process through to the induction.
Administration & Reception
- To line manage the receptionist and administrators in all aspects of their responsibilities.
Premises Management, Security, Safety & Lettings
- To manage the outsourced premises team in managing all aspects of premises and security, including building maintenance, development of facilities, the Asset Register
- To ensure that RSJ complies with all aspects of Japanese Health and Safety legislation at all times and that all breaches of Health and Safety are recorded and followed up
- To manage the outsourced maintenance team to ensure the RSJ campus is maintained at a high level at all times.
- To ensure appropriate reporting, monitoring, and control systems are put in place relating to RSJ’s internal building fabric and furniture, including the production and maintenance of an Asset Register
- To be responsible for the management of security, during the school term and in holidays, as well as during any community use/lettings
- To manage the outsourced cleaning staff/contract, ensuring that all cleaning duties are efficiently and thoroughly covered
- To oversee the lettings provision of RSJ, ensuring that access is appropriate, that facilities are used safely, and that no damages are incurred; to be the point of contact for individuals/groups letting areas of the premises and ensure that staff coverage during lettings is adequate
- To support the leadership team in developing the strategic approach for lettings and community links
- To manage the service and contract for all IT provisions within the school
- To ensure all IT assets are security-marked and maintained, through the management of the IT service provider
- To have oversight of IT administrators on-site, the work they do, and the priorities they set
- To ensure that safeguarding is the top priority with regard to IT usage
- To manage the Catering Manager/ Catering contract, as applicable, in managing all aspects of the catering service
- To ensure the effectiveness, quality of provision, and value for money
- To liaise with the Director of Operations regarding the effective management of budgets.
Staff Management & Teamwork
- To manage all designated staff to ensure they are motivated, have high levels of commitment and productivity, and perform well in their roles
- To arrange or deliver training for the Operations Team
- Carry out other reasonable tasks as directed by the Principal
- Support the administration of bookings, invoices, and budgeting.
- As directed by SLT / HMs / Head of Departments, communicate by email, video call, or telephone to book and arrange details with external speakers visiting the School.
- Liaise with colleagues in School to organise venues.
- Provide event administration support for school events.
The post holder will be expected to work flexible hours if need be so as to maintain the effective discharge of their professional duties and to meet the needs of the business.
The following duties shall be deemed to be included in the professional duties that staff may be required to perform:
Appraisal and professional development
- Participate in arrangements made for staff appraisal and professional development.
- Undertake such training as may be reasonably required by the School to adapt to the changing requirements of the School or as may be necessary to fulfil the School's statutory or regulatory obligations.
- To undertake mandated job-related training as required and instructed by the School.
Additional professional responsibilities
- Fulfil wider professional responsibilities by making a positive contribution to the wider life and ethos of the School.
Child protection, discipline, health, and safety
- Safeguard and promote the welfare of all the children and young people at Rugby School Japan.
- Maintain good order and discipline among the pupils and safeguard their health and safety both when they are on the School premises and when they are engaged in authorised School activities elsewhere.
- Ensure all staff acts in accordance with Rugby School’s policies and procedures.
Equality and diversity
- Acting in accordance with Rugby School Japan’s equality and diversity policy, maintaining a fair and consistent manner in all actions.
- Undertake such other reasonable duties from time to time as the School may reasonably require.
- Undergraduate degree or qualified by experience.
- Evidence of a right to work in Japan.
- Experience working with both outsourcing companies and internal teams
Proven ability in the use of software packages and a good level of computer literacy.
Excellent spoken and written English communication skills.
Experience in people and project management.
Experience in managing budgets.
Experience working with a range of internal and external stakeholders and partners.
Understanding of procedures and processes, within operational departments in an educational setting.
- Knowledge and experience in management systems.
- Knowledge and experience in managing procurement, contracts for services, health and safety, etc.
- Genuine passion for and a belief in the potential of every student.
Personal competencies and qualities
- Strong alignment with RSJ’s mission.
- Strong organisational and planning skills.
- Strong people management skills, with highly developed interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to influence and participate in RSJ management processes.
- Ability to prioritise and manage conflicting demands.
- Proactive and innovative demonstrable approach to work.
- Strong organisational, project management, and planning skills.
- Demonstrates an innovative and proactive approach to work.
- Evidence of well-developed IT skills.
- Exercises sound judgment, especially relating to confidentiality and discretion
- Committed to safeguarding children.
- Committed to ongoing CPD.
- Determined to grow and develop as an individual.
- Problem-solving attitude.
- Committed and resilient.
- Willingness to embrace a coaching philosophy in all aspects of school life.
- Team player, who is flexible to take on any task assigned.
- Able to work flexibly and take on new or different tasks if and when required to do so.
These are extra qualities that can be used to choose between applicants who meet all the essential criteria:
Membership in a recognised professional body will be beneficial.
Evidence of recent professional development.
Experience working with a school management information system.
Good Japanese communication skills.
Proven skills within an educational setting.
Knowledgeable and highly competent.
Familiarity with advanced formulas in MS Excel.
The remuneration package will be competitive.
HOW TO APPLY
Application process and closing date for applications
- Please apply through Career Cross, sending a recent photograph, a CV, and a Cover Letter of no more than one side of A4 addressed to Mr Tony Darby, Principal, Rugby School Japan by the closing date.
- The closing date for applications is Friday, 29 September 12:00 JST (early applications are encouraged); RSJ reserves the right to make an appointment at any stage of the recruitment process.
- Interviews will take place at RSJ, Chiba or online.
Qualifications, Identification, Health, and Background Checks
- Please note that candidates may be required to bring documentation to the interview providing proof of identity and qualifications.
- They may also be required, within the final appointment process, to undergo a health check and relevant background checks as part of the School's recruitment and safeguarding procedures.
- Rugby School Japan is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the DBS. In addition, all successful candidates will be vetted in accordance with COBIS, NMBS, and KCSiE requirements.
- The Rugby School Group Safeguarding Policy can be found at https://www.rugbyschool.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/RSG-Safeguarding-and-Child-Protection-Policy-MASTER-updated-March- 22.pdf